My Spring 2015 Capsule is ready for all to see and I will admit, has been a fretful couple of weeks. Similar to the fall of 2014, this is a big seasonal change from winter to spring and has really stretched me, again, in a good way. Each time I enter a capsule shopping time I discover new things about myself, good and bad, and it forces me to let go of the “more is better” mentality and really think through what I like, don’t like and can live without.
This season I finally found a “boyfriend” cut of jean that is comfortable and am in love with. This cropped, looser cut is a great transition jean as the temperatures get warmer and you are not quite ready to bare your pale winter skin with a pair of shorts. The boyfriend cut has been in style for several seasons but I have been unable to find a pair that fit around my waist while still giving me a looser cut in the leg, until now.
New to this season is the higher-waisted, boyfriend style jean called the “Girlfriend” jean. Hallelujah for all us curvy girls wanting to look cool and carefree! But with this cut comes a warning …be sure to view yourself from behind! This high-waisted jean is really cute from the front, but the term “mom jean” is not a term of endearment when referring to the girlfriend style. The higher set waistband can cause the backside to appear a mile long. Not good. Be sure to find tops that skim over that area and land below the widest part of your thigh. Then finish with a tuck in the front, if you like.
The rest of you with slim hips and trim legs, ignore the advice above and enjoy your traditional boyfriend cut. Your tops only need to cover your tummy area.
So without further ado, here is my Spring Capsule:
1. Anthropologie Embroidered Panal Tunic current/2. Cabi Bobbin Lace Top current/3. Free People Drippy jersey dress current/4. Free People cold shoulder pull over current Nordstrom Rack/5. Free People ruched shirt current sale/6. Free People woodman plaid shirt current/7. Urban Outfitters denim tunic current/8. Free People tank old/9. Free People tank current Nordstrom Rack/10. Free People lace sweater current sale/11. H&M gray duster current/12. H&M pink sweater sale/13. Free People striped top old/14. H&M white button down current in store only/15. open spot if I need it
1. Free People maxi skirt current Nordstrom Rack/2. AG jean bermudas old Anthropolgie/3. Vigoss skinnies old Nordstrom Rack/4. Democracy girlfriend jeans current Nordstrom Rack/5. Two by Vince Camuto joggers old Nordstram Rack clearance/6. Lucky Brand jeggings old Nordstrom Rack clearance/7. Kut from the Kloth skinnies current Nordstrom Rack/8. DKNY camo jeans current Nordstrom Rack/9. Splendid Maxi dress current Nordstrom Rack clearance
1. Free People Krist Ankle boot sale current/2. Dansko last season/3. Free People old/4. Superga old Nordstrom Rack clearance/5. BCBG old Nordstrom Rack clearance/6. Converse old Nordstrom Rack/7. Free Bird old Nordstrom Rack/8. Free People old/9. Converse old Nordstrom Rack
1. Anthropologie old fall of 2014/2. H&M Denim Jacket current
1. Anthropologie denim shirtdress old from 2014/2. Evereve Maxi dress old 2014
Hat and scarf current sale Evereve and tanks are Free People, current, Nordstrom Rack.
Now that I’m seeing this capsule posted, it does seem a little pastel and neutral so we’ll see how I do. I really love monochromatic dressing and have several options for winter white combinations that I’m looking forward to trying. And I am well equipped with colorful statement earrings so I think all will turn out fine. And the good news is this time next year I’ll have the hindsight to know what worked and what didn’t. Another great aspect of capsule dressing.
For future posts we’ll talk about having small capsules for outdoor sports and vacations and spring/summer wedding attire. Both are best to have on hand and ready, to prevent that last minute rushed shopping and buying that you regret later.